Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What I Love Wednesday {Organization}

Deep down, I am an organizer. I take great pride in knowing just where {most} things are in my house. I'm not crazy about it, but I AM that girl that once organized her shoes in clear boxes with photos of them on the outside. (OK, now that I typed that out it DOES sound a bit OCD...)

I have areas of my house that just ALWAYS seem cluttered and messy. No matter how hard I try to pick up and throw unneeded things away, they remain. Some of these include a toy closet in our front hallway, a coat closet and our junk drawers. Yes, junk drawers plural, because I now have FOUR in my kitchen. I once bought an organizing insert for my junk drawer but it only led to additional junk drawers.

This post is dedicated to two small projects I did this week to declutter two areas: the toy closet and the front coat closet. They are super easy and anyone can do it!

I give you, the toy closet, BEFORE:
Oh the horror.
Art supplies everywhere, toys thrown in at the bottom, old magazines NO ONE will ever read again and overall messiness.

Now the AFTER:

I can breathe again! I purchased some clear bins at the dollar store and made labels with my Cricut machine for the things we use a lot: play-doh, art supplies, paints, etc. I think it's actually helpful that Chase can't see what's inside them because he tends to want to grab things off the shelves, which isn't the safest thing.


****************************************

The next project was the hall coat closet. The coats weren't the problem, but the huge box of winter scarves, hats and gloves was.

And AFTER:

This over-the-door thing is great.  This isn't my brain child, I saw it on pinterest of course. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. (Isn't that what you always say when you see something on pinterest you like?!) I now have 26 individual spots for our winter accessories. I tried to put matching sets like hats/gloves together when I could. I got the organizer at Target and it was very reasonable. The sad thing is I filled it fast with no pockets to spare, but I know it's going to be handy-dandy come winter!

What organizing tips do you use around your house? Any tips for turning 4 junk drawers into 1 or even 2?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved