Thursday, January 27, 2011

ER Trip: A Tale of One Tough Cookie...

First big boo boo!
January 27th, 2011

One tough cookie!
Well, we survived our first trip to the ER today. Chase was playing in the kitchen and started to walk into where I was like he does 30 times a day and tripped over the high chair. He fell face first on the tile floor with no time to react or put his hands out to catch himself. I picked him up immediately and the bleeding began. It stopped after about 5-7 minutes and I was able to calm him down with some Sesame Street videos on the computer while I called the pediatrician. After telling them there was a cut on both the inside and outside of his bottom lip (the tooth had gone through) that were about 3-4 mm in size each, they confirmed my fear: that I needed to take him to a medcheck or ER to make sure he didn't need sutures. So we took off...Poor Wes was on a call during all of this and then had to take Lilly to an appointment she had, it was a crazy day!
The St. Vincent Northeast ER is just 5 minutes from our house and I was really impressed with the care we received. We got right in and the nurses and doctors were great. I was hoping the doctor would say stitches weren't necessary, but he was afraid of slow healing and scarring without them. I called Wes and we made the decision to go for it. It was probably one of the most heartbreaking things to witness. They gave me the option to leave during the 5 minute procedure but there's no way I could. While the nurses put him in a weird version of what I called a toddler straight jacket, the doctor came in and they numbed him up (the worst part as it stings first but then it's instant relief) before giving him 2 stitches on the outside and 1 inside. Chase cried as much as you would imagine a 23 month old to, but was very brave and held still with the help of the two nurses. Afterwards there were stickers, hugs and kisses and a blueberry POPSICLE! Chase really liked that! We were in and out in an hour and after a good nap at home, Chase was back to his crazy self. I told the doctor as nicely as I could that I hoped we never saw him again. :) The stitches dissolve too so we won't have to go back!

Being a parent is tough stuff! It is the most rewarding thing in the world, but to see your child sick or hurt is heart wrenching. I am so thankful to God that it wasn't anything too serious and that overall we have great health!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved